Thursday, August 20, 2009

Letters from Marvin to Margie

When Mike and I were visiting Caroline over the 4th of July, we discovered letters that Granny had kept, that were written by Marvin. I was transcribing one today and decided I would just post them randomly.
Here's one letter written by Marvin to Margie on May 1, 1955. Margie was back in New Jersey with daughter Caroline and her family, awaiting the arrive of Caroline & Doug's fourth child (Marjorie). Hopefully, I've transcribed it accurately. While I think Grandpa Lyman has nice handwriting, I still had a problem reading a few words!


Page 1

Page 2


Letter transcribes...

Blanding, Utah
May 1, 1955

Dear Margie:

This is Sunday night, about the first time I have had to do any writing since I received your letter. Was glad you had such a nice trip. I suppose you are now a confirmed air traveler. Was glad you found things B.Y. in N.J. (New Jersey). What a day we have had here today. The wind has blown all day just as bad or worse than any day we had this spring. You could hardly see across the street for the dust. I feel like I’d crawl into a hole some place and never come out.

I ordained Joe an Elder in Priesthood meeting this morning. I believe he was quite thrilled. Phil is still coughing and has been awful miserable. I believe he is a little better the last two days. I’ve never seen anything hang on as tenaciously as this flue.

Phil and me have been working in the statements some this after noon. I guess it is a good thing you are not here you sure would be mad. It seems like we have got more _____ accts than ever. Business has been pretty good most of the time. Cash sales have been better than before the fire.

We are getting long fine, so far. We eat breakfast and dinner at Lymans, sometimes a malt and hamburger for supper.

Well it’s Monday morning and snowing to beat the _____. Has turned quite cold. I don’t know what we have done to deserve such weather. I guess it’s the judgments of the last days.

I don’t know when the blessed event was supposed to happen, but seems like we should be hearing something right away. Haven’t heard from Frances since you left. So didn’t know what’s going on down there.

Well I guess I’ve told about everything I can think of for this week.

Give my love to Caroline, Doug, and the little fellows and write when you get time.

Much love, Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment