Saturday, September 26, 2009

1931 Beehive House Letters, Part 1

Link and explanation of Margie’s trip to Salt Lake: http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=%2Fsjr&CISOPTR=16272&REC=0&CISOBOX=margie+lyman



Margie & Marvin - 1920
Oct. 3, 1931
Dear Marg:
I just have time to dash off a few lines before the mail gets here. We received your letter yesterday, and was surely glad to hear from you. I hope by this time you are rested up so you can begin to enjoy life, but I can’t imagine anyone getting any rest up there at Conf. time. Everything is about as usual here, we are getting along fine. Ethel is doing very well by us. The young ones are doing fine even to the cat and pigeon.
The windows of heaven have surely been open for a couple of day, the rain has poured down till water runs in every direction, the drouth is sure busted. I guess you know that John recovered O.K.
I went up to Marion’s last night for rehearsal, the first one we have had and since no one came but me the rehearsal was a fiz, but we had a nice visit. I heard them announce Coranton over the radio. I wish I could go with you to see it and further more I think you better not miss any good shows. Well I’ll have to quit if I get this on the mail and I think I have done pretty well since this is the first letter I have written in ten years. Don’t worry about things at home and get anything you need. The Lord will provide.
Enjoy yourself and have a good time.
With much love
From pap and the kids
P.S. Would like to hear from you often and will try and reciprocate.


Marvin Lyman
Goosenecks of the San Juan

Oct. 7, 1931
Dear Marg:
I just received your letter and I perceive that you have not read the first letter I wrote you several days ago, however you may have received it by this time, and if you have I hope it cheered you up some. I don’t want you to feel sad or discouraged while you have such a fine chance to be doing something that should be a pleasure to you. We surely do miss you, and will be very glad to have you home again.
We are getting along fine and as far as I know you should not have any cause to worry about us. Ethel is taking good care of us and we are all well and happy so to speak.
I listened to every speaker on Sunday over the radio. There were certainly some wonderful sermons. I think I got more out of them than I ever did trying to hear them in the Tabernacle. Bro. Shumway came over and listened to the afternoon session. He thot it was fine.
We have a crowd here every day to listen to the World Series Baseball game. It comes in fine and I am getting to be a seal fan. I wouldn't miss one for anything. They have two more games to play.
We have nearly all the first coat of stucco on the Garage, it helps the looks considerable. The weather is idea, hasn’t frosted ye and we haven’t put the heater up. I went to Monticello yesterday, called at the bank and arranged for them to pay our checks. I don’t think it makes much difference whose name you make them in. You can write your own name if you prefer. I don’t believe there is much news and I am a poor hand at gossip so I don’t think of anything else to write about. I suppose by this time you will be deeply engaged in your studies and won’t have time to get lonesome or homesick anyway. We don’t want you to be. Treat yourself to a good time and write to us when you can spare the time.
With much love
Marvin
P.S. If you don’t receive this letter write and let me know.


Margie H Lyman - 1921

Oct. 14, 1931
Dear Marg:
Your welcome letter received. Am glad you are getting along so well in your work, but I don’t think I would like your job. Everything is about as usual here, lots of bad colds in town. Phil’s has been afflicted with a cold but I think he is on the improve. Otherwise, we are all O.K. Lynn Thompson came home from La Sal the other day. He has quit over there and is our cook now.
We had a wonderful Conference here last Sunday. I attended every session. I guess that is why I liked it so much. Apostle Merrill was in attendance but it seemed like he didn’t get a chance to speak as much as I would like. There were so many others to speak.
We are going to have a talking picture here tomorrow night, an outfit traveling thru the country. The kids are planning big on it. I told Phil if he didn’t get better he couldn’t go, so he is making a desperate effort, wears his shows and stockings every day. We have him a dose of Magnesia this morning.
I don’t think of many more news to speak of so I guess I’ll have to sign off.
I have been wondering how you are standing up to the work (Physically. How are your aches and pains. I hope you don’t have to be on your feet too much.
Well be good and write soon.
With much love
From your Old Man
I see by the paper that your school lasts till the 13th of next month. That’s a long time.


Margie Hurst - 1919




Oct. 19, 1931


Dear Margie Dear,

I received your letter today and it seemed awfully good to hear from you again. I am setting here by the stove along trying to keep warm. The little ones have gone to bed and I am watching the lights as Lynn has gone to Cortez but don’t think they have had any results yet in the way of increase. Today has been rather dismal, it started to rain last night and has kept it up nearly all day and still is. The garage has been full of bums all day and there is heaps of mud everywhere.

I am glad you enjoy your work and have the opportunity to meet lots of nice people, they will surely expect much from you when you get home after the splendid training you are receiving.

We are all doing very nicely. Phil had quite a bad dose of earaches but is allright now. He still has some sores on his lips but he is able to hold his own with Caroline when it comes to fighting which they do most of the time when they are together. (Sidney here, I had to laugh at this comment!) I think Caroline is doing alright in school. She is in the best class. Yes I guess the play blowed up at any rate we haven’t had any rehe[a]rsals. I don’t know whether they have given it up entirely or not.

If Garda is home I haven’t heard of it I don’t hardly think she is.

Ethel and Lynn have rented apartments in Blacks house and are located there now. Lynn has been picking some of the apples down on the lot. He is doing most of the cooking. We had a real banquet the other day when Geo. came in off the Survey. The Survey has quit and they have all gone home.

The mail has changed the schedule. He stays in Bluff now and goes north in the morning which should make quicker service between here and Salt Lake.

Well I have about exhausted my supply of news which is very limited at the most. Anyway, I don’t think there is much happening. The deer season opens tomorrow and most of the Blanding men have gone or are going hunting. If I was going hunting for dears I think I would go to Salt Lake.


Write again soon

Heaps of love.
Marvin

No comments:

Post a Comment