Sunday, September 13, 2009

Letter Written Shortly after Suzanne's Death

Background...

Lynette Lyman Bayles has a copy of this letter in her possession. Lynette writes, "I hope you will all feel of the great love Granny had for her family and also of her great testimony and faith. I’m glad I can share this sweet letter with you all. Love Lynette Lyman Bayles"

Lynette also told me in the email that there are areas in the letter that are blotched with Granny's tear stains, and so the words cannot be read.

Link to Suzanne's obituary...

http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/sjr&CISOPTR=63170&CISOSHOW=63186&REC=1


Explanation of the Letter...

This is a letter written by Margie Lyman shortly after the death of her little Suzanne. It came into my possession through Margaret Wright who lives here in Mesa. I am so grateful that she called me to tell me of its existence and she felt our family should have it. Margaret’s cousin, Lynn Melville, gave the letter to her, and she passed it on to me, along with this letter of explanation of its origin:

Rachel Melville (addressee on envelope) is Lynn Melville’s (the cousin who brought the letter to me) mother.

Rachel’s mother, also named Rachel, is a sister to Grandma Libbie.

Elma (the letter is written to her) is a sister to Rachel Melville.

Theil Roberts, (the return address label on the envelope) is a daughter of Elma’s. She probably sent the letter to Rachel to give to Lynn when her mom died and they went through her things.

This is a great piece of history and a special piece of Aunt Marg and her strong testimony and strength. I’m glad I got to read it.

Margaret Wright



The Letter...



Blanding, Utah
Oct. 11, 1942

Dear Elma, before I write a word let me tell you that it will be a poor affair. I am a dumb letter writer at the best and it is oh so hard for me to write about the death of our dear little Suzanne.

Your letter was grand and oh you don’t know how much it meant to Marvin & I. It is funny how we go along and didn’t realize just what our dear ones suffer. I was impressed with you and Boyd. Had you pictured as having faith and living up to church standards but I didn’t realize some of the things that bound you so securely. It is so had to have a little darling snatched right away from you but still it is a great satisfaction to me that Suzie suffered very little. I will tell you all about it in detail as near as I can.

On Saturday the 5th of September, she seemed to have a very slight cold. Not the least bit sick but a little hoarse. She played all day and went me and the boys to pick pears. I told Francis and Joe Fin that I would give them a nickel for helping. We had been picking just a few minutes when De Bayles came along with some other little kids on their way to the field. He asked Suzanne to go along. Of course we were all through and home before she got back. She was so cute as usual. She came in and said “I want the nickel I earned picking pears.” I said “you didn’t pick” but I gave it to her thank goodness and she got an ice cream cone. She wanted to go the show but it was a little cold so I coaxed her to stay home. She said she would if I would tell her some stories. I did for an hour or two. She seemed a little tighter in her lungs so I steamed her and rubbed her chest. Heavens I have had children much worse and never been much alarmed.

Sunday morning she insisted on going to Sunday School. So Carolyn got her ready then talked her out of it because she was still breathing real hard. Carolyn stayed with her as I had to play the piano in the Junior Sunday School. They just had a good time all the while I was gone, played chop sticks on the piano sang songs etc. It was about 1:30 when I got home. She was lying down but didn’t seem sick. I continued to steam her and tried to loosen up her throat. Aunt Ellen came in to see her and told her to be at Sunday school next Sunday. I felt like saying “She won’t be there aunt Ellen.” But I tried to put the thot out of my mind but it just stayed in spite of every thing. It was fast day and I had intended going to meeting but felt impressed to stay with my baby. Every one else went.


About 3 o-clock I was sitting on the edge of her bed putting wet towels on her throat because aunt Ellen said she had croup. All of a sudden she had a bad choking spell. I said “honey put your finger in your throat and make yourself vomit.” The little thing tried but nothing came up. She got real dark and needless to say I was terrified. I ran to the door and screamed. Carolyn just happened to be passing. I thot she was at meeting. I sent her for Marvin. The Dr. wasn’t in town but I got Dorthy Bayles, one of the best nurses the Lord ever blessed the world with. By the time they got here Suzie was real white and lying still seemingly in no pain except for the difficulty in breathing. Dorthy said she had asthma and that I was doing all that she could do, but to call her if Suzanne choked again. The rest of the after-noon she just lay there wanting me to tell her stories which I did.

About 5:30 she got up and went into the bath-room by herself just as she got back into bed she vomited a little. I changed her pajamas and just straightened her bed when she went into another very very bad choking spell. I grabbed her up and screamed for Phil to run for Daddy and Dorthy. I carried her into the bath room and dashed cold water into her sweet little face and fanned her and she reached her little arms up and said, “oh mama I’m choking to death” and Elma she was doing just that and there I was helpless. I said out loud, “Oh Father in Heaven you are taking my baby aren’t you?” I knew that he was. We had her administered to earlier in the afternoon but it didn’t make any difference.

Dorthy came and sent for Ann Hatch the public health nurse. They got here and gave her shots of adrenlin about 6:30 and Marvin ran and called our dear Dr. Allan in Moab. He told us to bring her down. At 7 she had her third choking spell and a slight convulsion but after it she was rational. Miss Hatch was holding her by the window, the little black cat was sitting on the sill out side and she waved and smiled at it. I just thot my heart would break right in two. At 7:30 we with Miss Hatch were in the car on our way to Moab. We made it in 1 hr. and 15 min. Dr. Allen and his Brother Dr. D.K Allen of Salt Lake were both there ready to operate or any thing necessary but could find nothing wrong. No temperature, no evidence of pain they tapped her spine and it revealed absolutely nothing. They did everything possible but she never did respond to a single thing. She never seemed conscious after reaching the hospital and passed away at eleven o’clock. We wrapped her in a blanket and retraced our sad path home. We got here about 2 o’clock.

All of our family both mine and Marvin’s were here and they were so good and kind. What oh what would we do without loved ones? We buried her on Monday. Had a beautiful service at 4 o’clock. She was indeed a wax doll. Her little clothes were perfect. Ray went to Cortez and got a lovely little peach color casket and we put our baby girl to rest in a (?) silken down bed. Hazel curled her hair just the way I had kept it all Summer. Oh Elma this is a mess I can’t see (? words smeared and unreadable) You will never be able to read this terribly written epistle but please excuse me and let any of our folks read this if they care to because I can never write it again to anyone. I don’t question the Lord in it neither do I want her back but you know how we miss her and I just have to cry sometime. Thanks a million for your letter give our kind love and regards to all of our dear folks. Love Marg and Marvin

No comments:

Post a Comment