Thursday, November 12, 2009

To: My oldest grand-daughter

This letter and hankie resides in the possession of Marjorie Christensen Jones, oldest grand-daughter of Margie Hurst Lyman and Marvin F. Lyman.


Hankie tatted by Margie Hurst Lyman.
(Hankie is folded in half as it was too large to scan the entire picture.)

Close-up of the needlework


Two page note written in 1942.






Transcription of note...
June 28, 1942
My dear grand-daughter, as I sit here writing this wee note I feel that I know you.
Hope you like the little hankie with the patriotic tatting. You know we are, at the present time engaged in the 2nd World War. It is smart to use red white and blue.
I was a young girl during World War No.1 and now I have a son almost old enough to serve his country.
My sincere prayer is that when you read this, the world will be at peace.
Lots of love from your grand-mother

Margie Hurst Lyman

No comments:

Post a Comment