Friday, October 9, 2009

Beehive House letters - Part 3

This is the final installment of the Beehive House Letters. As I mentioned before, I could just see how much Grandpa Lyman loved Granny and how he missed her! Enjoy!!!
Marvin with his Bow Tie
(For some reason, I really like this picture!)



Margie Hurst Lyman
Nov. 4, 1931


Dearest Marg:

I am just writing a few lines to tell you I received your letter today stating that you are feeling better for which I am glad.

It seems kinda lonesome tonight as I sold the radio today to Eli_es Dalton, he took it to Bluff to keep him company this winter. You know he stays in Bluff now for the next 2 or 3 months. The mail leaves here 8:30 in the morning going north.

Lynn Thompson went to Grand J. (Junction) with Ray today to look for a stove. The kids have gone over to sleep with Ethel tonight so I will have the house to myself.

Same is about ready to start building a house. She is getting the lumber from Rowley’s on my acct, if she gets all of it she has ordered it will about pay their account here and will also pay Sam what I owe her.

I hear today that Aunt Caroline is holding her own and has a fair chance for recovery

The American Legion and Aux. are planning quite a celebration on the 11th.

See Link: http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/sjr&CISOPTR=16849&CISOSHOW=16867

They came after me to make another speech in school. I told them I had told my story three or four times and they had better get someone else this time. Of course, I was the main guy in the war but I think some of the others could say a few words on the subject.

Well I didn’t intend to write much when I started and I guess you’ll get tired of reading all this stuff, so I’d better pull in my neck and look to the bed.

I hope you are entirely recovered by now. Take good care of yourself.

I think of you always.

Lots of love,

Marvin



Nov. 10, 1931
Tuesday Morning


Dearest Marg,

First a few lines to give you the latest developments. We had a nice day yesterday but it is all cloudy today. I don’t think it will storm much however so we will not alter the plan.

In case De should call for you to bring you home tell him to go to the Devil. He has been telling around that he is going to bring you home and I thot ma[y]by when he heard I was coming after you he might rush up there and tell you I sent him for you. That’s the way he does business.

I started to tell you in yesterday’s letter about the kids, if I is at all feasible to bring them I will have to do it, they have been counting the days for a lone time and it would surely be a disappointment if I didn’t bring them.

I looked for a letter from you yesterday but was disappointed perhaps I’ll get one today. There is no news so will close my remarks with much love for you.

Marvin

I will drop you a line in the morning, which I suppose will be the last word till I come up.


Nov. 11, 1931
Wednesday Morning

Well Margie my Darling: I will drop you another daily bulletin of conditions. I received your letter yesterday and surely appreciated it.

It rained nearly all night and is all foggy today. The roads are in bad shape now but if it doesn’t rain any more I think we will start Friday. Of course it might keep storming until it will be impossible to come then so if we don’t arrive there Friday night you will know we are delayed on account of storms.

I will not write you again. Am hopeful I beat this letter there. If we are delayed more than a day or t[w]o I may wire you when we will come but you can depend on me getting their as soon as possible as I am sure anxious to see you and with a hug and kiss I greet you.

Until then I am yours. With a heap of Love.

Marvin


Link to San Juan Record stating Margie’s return to Blanding from Salt Lake City:
http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/sjr&CISOPTR=16941&CISOSHOW=16957

No comments:

Post a Comment