Saturday, October 24, 2009

Philip Lyman

High School photo of Phil
Francis, Caroline, and Phil

Phil & Caroline
June 1931


Note: These entries about Uncle Phil were compiled from Margie Hurst Lyman's journal by granddaughter Lynette Lyman Bayles.
When Caroline was 22 months old I was blessed with a dear baby boy also born in the Moab Hospital on 17th March 1926. We named our boy Philip H. for my brother. Phil was small and didn’t gain weight as he should and would have had a hard pull but for the kind help of Dolly Bayles who nursed him for several months.

When Phil was 18 months old he became very seriously ill with intestinal flue and it seemed that he could not live. I will always appreciate the kindness of Joe Redd in driving his car up to our door and telling us to take it and get our baby at once to Moab and dear Dr. I.W. Allen. When we left home Phil was so distended and in so much pain that he could not stand to be moved. Patriarch’s Wayne H. Redd and Benjiman Black administered to him just before we left and he lay quiet all the way to Moab except on a few occasions when the car would jolt him too much and then he would cry out with pain. The little chap pulled through under the expert care of Dr. Allen and our faith and prayers but he was never a robust child.

On the 7th of June 1931 prior to my trip to SLC The four of us made a little trip to the natural bridges which stands out in my life as one of the “High Lights.” Caroline was 7 and Phil was just 5 but they made the entire hike from the Edwin to the Augusta up to the ruins down white canyon to the Carolina and back to the Edwin. It was better then a 13 mile hike but they stood it fine. Mr. L.H. Shore of the Beneficial Life Insurance Co. sent them each a pair of hiking boots in recognition of what they had accomplished. They still have the boots among their treasures.

I took Phil and Caroline and went to Grand Junction on the truck with Ray Lyman, Marvin’s brother. We did have the best time. We bought some chairs a little bench and table also a high chair. About this time we moved back up to Dora’s house by the Garage where we stayed until Feb. 1936 when we moved into Oscar Johnson’s house up by the High school.

We were living there when my dear boy Phil was taken ill with pneumonia. We rushed him to the hospital. He was kept in an oxygen tent for several days and had food and water in the veins or he could never have lived.

I brought Phil home from the hospital on the 18th of March the day after he turned 10 years old. A very thin weak child but lucky to be alive.

March 17, 1939 To-day is Phil’s birthday he didn’t have a party but we had a nice birthday dinner for him. Lyn Thompson made him a beautiful cake decorated with shamrocks. To-night he is at a class dancing party. Caroline, Arthur Rogers and Joe Sherman are playing for the said dance. Phil had to make punch.

Nov. 12. Phil gave a very interesting little talk on the part of Youth in genealogical work. I was very proud to have a son who could do as well.


July 6, 1942

Arthur Rogers is trying to encourage Phil to play the piano for the orchestra. I hope he will do it. They have been practicing here to-night. Arthur claims that Phil is good.

Marvin and Phil went to West Water yesterday to stake off a mill site for the Blanding mines. We all went along. While they worked we gathered pine gum for Caroline.

Arthur Rogers and Phil went to Monticello with me and practiced with Wyman Redd. Wyman is Jay and Marie Redds boy and plays a trumpet. Art played the saxophone and Phil the piano. Arthur is trying to start a young orchestra and wants Wyman to play with them.

Phil went down to play a couple of numbers with the orchestra, hope he doesn’t get cold feet and back out. Right now I can hear them playing “don’t sit under the apple tree” that is one of the songs he is supposed to play.

I must not forget to mention that Phil played for the entire dance Friday night Aug. 21st.

Dec. 13 Phil was sustained as Pres. Of the teachers quorum.

Jan. 3 1943 Just came home from a Christmas Cantata given by the San Juan High School chorus class. It was “Chimes of the Holy Night.” My son Phil played the entire piano accompaniment. I was very proud of him. He did a fine as did the chorus.

Jan. 10 My Philip was ordained a Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood this morning. I am happy to say he is just as good and clean as when he was ordained a deacon. I hope he will always be worthy of advancement in the Priesthood and I think that he will.

Jan. 17 Philip administered the Sacrament at Sunday School and in meeting. I had a big lump in my throat when I looked at him and heard his manly voice. My mind went back when he was a wee chap. He was so little and under nourished. Many a time I have put him in the bath tub and cried over his little thin body. I thot most every day of his life that he would never grow to maturity. Things are so funny, I always thot Suzanne so husky and well and she was taken so quick. We surely can’t tell just how the Lord will do things. Perhaps it is best we can’t. Marvin told Phil quite a little story tonight that I feel like writing here. I quote.

(Story Marvin told about priesthood worthiness)
“I learned the blessings on the bread and water when first I was ordained a priest and never forgot them. When I was in Camp Lewis during World War one some of us fellows decided one Sunday to find the Mormon church if we could. We walked for a long long way and finally came to a small church. There was a real small congregation. We had never been there before and had never seen anyone there. The presiding Elder was quite an old man. Just as we came in and sat down in the rear of the building he walked down the isle and asked me to come up and administer the sacrament, didn’t even ask me if I was a Mormon. I was certainly thankful that I could do it. They didn’t have a book, card or anything.”

I feel sure that Phil will learn them now.

Jan 24 I was very thrilled this morning because Phil accompanied the San Juan High School glee club. They furnished the music for the 1st meeting of Stake conference.

With the world in such a mess with this terrible war, no telling what she will be doing next winter. God grant that peace may soon come to the earth.

Friday 28 Went to the Presidents Birthday Ball. Had a nice crowd. John McDonald who had things in charge said they cleared “171.00 for the crippled children in America. The school orchestra furnished the music and it was real good. Phil played the piano and it was his first experience playing for an entire dance.

Phil has gone to the fireside chat at the home of Dr. Wesley Bayles.

Phil graduated from High School and has been working for my brothers, George and Phil at their saw mill.

Phil, Caroline and I have been making a fence back at the north end of the house. It looks real nice.

July 29, 1943 Put up the first lunch I ever put up for a working man. Phil had to take his lunch to the mill today.

Sept. 12 Sunday night – Just arrived from Salt Lake where we have been to put Caroline and Phil in the University of Utah. It seems very lonely

1944

March A week ago tonight Marvin and I came from Salt Lake where we had been to attend Caroline’s capping at the L.D.S. Hospital. She got her cap Thursday night march 16th. It was very thrilling. Exercises were held at the Ensign Ward. Marvin gave Caroline and Wanda each a lovely corsage. After the service we all went to the Coon Chicken Inn and had dinner. Beth, Sil and Betty were with us. Oh yes and of course Phil. Friday was Phil’s birthday he turned 18. Saturday we went with him to the Utah Oil building where he registered for selective service.

Marvin was not home when Joe Fin broke his arms. He had gone to Thompson to get a load of salt for the Blanding mines. Phil went with him. He is learning to drive the truck this is his third day driving. He came home from the University last Saturday June 3rd. He will stay home I suppose unitl he enters the army probably in July some time.

Marvin and Phil have gone up to Venices and Barts to Barts birthday party.

Phil talked in church tonight. Then he went to the Fireside chat at Garda Adams and played quite a number of piano selections.


1945 Phil is working as stock tracer at Hill Field. He was accepted for limited service only and so far hasn’t been called. The war continues to be more terrible we have had several causalities and have several prisoners of war. We spent Christmas in Salt Lake and really had a marvelous time. Phil nor Caroline could come home so we took Joe and Francis and loads of candy, nuts, doughnuts, gifts etc, etc. Even a dear little Cedar tree and took up our abode at New America Motor Lodge where we had a real little home for a week. Caroline has been home once since then. I am certainly doing my share of work these days.


Saturday, March 17th was my dear Phils birthday. 19 yrs. old.
Links from the San Juan Record about Uncle Phil during his youth...

Phil's piano lessons? ( didn't know he played the piano)
http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/sjr&CISOPTR=67928&CISOSHOW=67961

Phil played the piano:

No comments:

Post a Comment