Friday, October 30, 2009

Marvin's Letters to Margie - 1953

Note: These letters were written by Marvin to Margie while Margie was back in New Jersey for the birth of grandson Scot Lyman Christensen.


Scot Lyman Christensen
Blanding
Dec. 4, 1953
10:00pm

Dear Ma,

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, but it’s no dream. It started snowing this morning at daylight and has never let up. There is a foot of snow now and may be six inches more by morning. I am facing it with courage and determination. Am I glad you are in New Jersey instead of waiting here to take the plane tomorrow night. I received your telegram and needless to say I am happy about the whole affair, even to getting another grand son.

I love alone to night as Jody has gone to Grand Junction to play basketball tonight and tomorrow night. I just listened to the first BYU game tonight with Idaho State. BYU won by a good margin. Grayson M-Men beat Fort Lewis College night before last in a fast game. They are also playing in Grand Junction tonight.

I received a letter from Francis. He arrived at Chaffer ___. He met a Sergeant on the bus at Oklahoma City. He told him all about where to go and how to get there. Francis said he got off to good start, was on 1 P.P. and guard duty for 24 hours as soon as he arrived. He had an appointment for an audition with the band and thot he might be kept there as their band was not up to full strength. He seed to have a desire to remain there, also he said not to write him until he sent a permanent address.

I received a letter from Phil today, written at Annapolis Nov 30 which was two days before you arrived at Woodbury, he was leaving b bus for Washington where he would take a train that night for Phoenix by way of new Orleans, of course he didn’t know you were coming so soon or he probably would have waited to see you. He seemed to be arranging his own schedule but couldn’t take to much time. He should arrive in Phoenix today. He thot you should visit Norma if you possible could as she was expecting you. I don’t know if he will come up for Christmas but he thot he might come sometime in January, after you get home. It look[s] like we have got the travelingest family I have ever saw.(seen)

We are having breakfast at 7:30 and dinner at 12:30 and just peace [piece] around for supper or go without. Am sure we will get along fine.

Well there is not much news since you left so I better close this and get to bed.

Give my love to Caroline and Doug Mike and Kirk and the rest of the family. I suppose Caroline will be home from the Hospital by now so you can start your writing.

Well, be happy and have a good time and we will try and do likewise.

Love, Dad


Blanding Utah
December 17, 1953

Dear Marg:

I just received a letter from Francis today and one yesterday. He received my letter after he wrote the first one, hence the 2nd letter. I am passing them on to you so you can see what the situation is.

I do not know if Phil has any intention of coming home. Haven’t heard from him since I wrote him.

I suppose you will be heading home as soon after Xmas as you can make connections. Don’t think it makes much difference whether you come to G.J (Grand Junction) or Cortez. You can decide that after you find out what connections you can make.

I received your welcome letter. Hope you have a good visit in New York.

We are getting along fine. Sandra keeps the house clean up and we are getting along fine with meals a day at Lynn’s. We kept two basketball boys here the other night. Also kept Term Habe the other night. He came in with a load of gas and stayed over night. Everything in town was full. The Town is certainly full of people. Another oil rig moved in and there is talk of some more coming in. I don’t know where every body will stay. The Town is full of trailer houses now.

We got the razor for Francis and Burt got the kodac for Joe, he couldn’t get the kind Joe ordered but a better one. We are planning a little surprise for Joe. I think Joe is doing pretty good in basketball. They played Moab in Moab night before last, got beat. They played Green River in Moab last night in Moab. I don’t know how they made out. Hoe isn’t up yet.

Well it seven o’clock and I will have to get up and get to the garage. We have all the business we can handle. Have kept Howard all day part of the time.

They took Phil to Salt Lake the other day to be treated for ulcers of the stomach. Haven’t heard from him since he went up there.

Will ___ now.
We love you and will be glad to have you home.

Dad

I just got the mail and your letter of the 16th. Phil is back from Salt Lake. Ulcers are better but he’s having some bladder trouble.

Write soon. M.F.L
Link to San Juan Record artictle regarding Francis signing to the Concert Band
Basic Training Surprise! http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/sjr&CISOPTR=103960&CISOSHOW=104020 (Link also mentions that Granny had a quilt day at her home. Good news for myself as I'm a quilter!)

This is the letter from Francis that Grandpa sent to Granny with this letter which was dated December 17, 1953.



Camp Polk, Louisiana
Friday Night

Dear Dad and Joe,

Here I am at another separation center at Camp Polk. I have been stationed at the 63rd Army band here though, and will move over there Monday. I sure will be glad to get settled down.

The weather here is pretty nice now. At least it’s good and warm. I suspect it will get plenty warm here in the summer. I can think of places I’d rather be, but I should have a good deal here. The band has no KP or guard and that always looks good to me.

There is a branch of the church at Alexandria, about 60 miles away and if I can find a ride out, I should be able to do quite a little work there. I can’t make it their Sunday though because I’ve got KP. All we do while we are waiting for orders is pull KP and guard and other details. It isn’t bad though.

This is a pretty nice post and an awful big one. The main PX here is almost like Macy’s in New York. They have an electric train setup there with one of those big multi-transform that can run 3 or 4 trains at the same time, and I’ve been up and played with it a couple of times. It sure is confusing trying to run three trains at once. I think there are 4 theatres on the post and 2 or 3 service clubs and a post office, etc., etc. There are no big towns close around so the boys stay pretty much at camp. The camp is located 6 miles south of a little town called Seesville which is 60 miles west of Alexandria, if you want to locate me on the map.

I guess mom has gone to New Jersey by now hasn’t she. Would you send me Carolyn’s address so I can write to them. My address is:

Pvt Francis M. Lyman
US 56 214 214
63rd Army Band
Camp Polk, Louisiana

It looks like I might be coming home again for Christmas. The band is getting a blanket 15 day leave and I would be left down here alone. I think I can catch a ___ to Hill Field on an army flight and come free. Nothing is definite yet, though, so I’ll let you know.

Well it’s time for lights out so I’d best quit for now.

Love, Frances



Blanding Utah
Dec 26, 1950

Dear Margie

I just received your letter. It made me very sad to hear about the little fellers trouble. It don’t seem right for such a little one to have to have such an operation. We hope and pray that everything turns out for the best. Am glad you were there and you must keep me posted of his condition. I don’t know what you have heard from the boys. Anyway Francis didn’t come for Christmas. Will leave there about the 1st of January. Will have 15 days. Have we sent his elokes (__lean) him. Phil thinks he can come up for a few days while Francis is here but I daren’t make any definite plans until we are more sure what they can do.

We are doing O.K. here. I went to Salt Lake 2 days this week. Got back Christmas Eve. Joe and I were invited down to Br. Roots for Christmas Dinner. Sure had a delicious dinner and a nice visit till about 6:00 in the evening. Joe got up early and went to Tohatikee, N.M. this morning with Ellis Palmer. I don’t know exactly what for. I suppose he will be back tonight.

I’ll have to stop to get this in the mail. Hope the little feller will be O.K. and you won’t have to stay too much longer. Love, M.F.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment